Culver City Democratic Club – 61 Years
General Membership Meeting – Veterans Auditorium Rotunda
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
- I. Call to Order at 7:03 pm by President Bill Wynn.
- II. Pledge of Allegiance – led by Robert Zirgulis.
- III. Approval of November 12, 2013 Minutes: moved to approve by Rick Tuttle, seconded by Darryl Cherness; motion passed.
- IV. Announcements: Meeting in memory of Nelson Mandela (1918–2013); also in memory of the attack of Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941; Marguerite Poindexter LaMotte, LA Board of Education member, who recently passed this last week.
- V. Nominating Committee and Officer Elections – Ronnie Jayne, Chair. Members consisted of Roger Maxwell, Darryl Cherness, Neil Rubenstein, and Loren Scott. Slate developed by the Committee included: President: Lee Sanders; 1st Vice-President: Sylvia Moore; 2nd VP: David Bromberg; Membership: Diane Rosenberg; Treasurer: Eric Fine; Recording Secretary: Pat Levinson; Corresponding Secretary: Steven Murray.
- VI. Program: Guest Speaker: former State Senator Sheila Kuehl. She is currently serving as Founding Director of the Public Policy Institute at Santa Monica College. Running for County Supervisor (in an area that does not include Culver City). Child actor with the Stu Erwin Show at Hal Roach Studios. Teen actor on “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.“ Undergraduate at UCLA. Dean at UCLA to progressive groups. Got her law degree at Harvard. Worked on “women’s issues,” as they were known in those days. Worked towards laws on domestic violence. Professor/Dean at UCLA. Ran in 1994 successfully in the Assembly. Thereafter served 8 years in the State Senate. Had 171 bills successfully passed. Now interested in Board of Supervisors with all that she’s learned and to which she can contribute. Looking forward to serving. Her platform: county services to those who need the help of the general public to survive; foster youth; incarcerated youth and adults; County Office of Education; health care system in the county (LA Care, a non-profit insurer); connect the county from end to end (transportation); Redevelopment for housing for the county; the Arts; Mental Health; Recreation parks and preservation thereof; water equality. Discussion followed. “Fracking is a dangerous procedure and should be banned, “ according to Ms. Kuehl. Dual diagnosis and funding – a problem with mental health services. First hire will be a “chief silo buster!” Supervisors have no oversight of the court system. Few advocates for court system in the legislature, which slashes the budget. Have “wraparound” services for the homeless, including mental health services, literacy, and mental health services for incarcerated youth. Oversight of the election systems and electronic voting. Kuehlforsupervisor.com According to Rick Tuttle, Ms. Kuehl is a “warrior for justice.” Universal healthcare (single payer system) does not allow for private insurance companies, which the ACA requires. The County could not create, but the State could. Could have a hybrid system – a combination of private and public insurances. Single payer would be for everyone and would impose a tax on working individuals. No co-pay, no deductible. Includes dental, mental health. Employers would pay 6%. Overhead is 3%. Unemployed would be covered by Medi-cal. Undocumented would be able to pay.
VII. Guests and New Members: Marilyn Gruenwald; LA CDP Randy Arizmendiz. Jeffrey Prang, of the County Assessor’s Office, who is running for County Assessor. Lifelong Democrat. Serves on County and State Committees.
- VIII. Officer Reports
- A. Fundraising (Sylvia): Silent Auction is in progress this meeting. Sylvia set up an ActBlue page where you can pay for events and dues online. www.ActBlue.org
- B. Treasurer’s Report (Eric) Total funds as of November 30, 2013 are: $1,027.32. Proposed budget for 2014: $16,421.00.
- C. Refreshments: Thanks to Bertrand and David for refreshments.
- D. Membership [Diane]: 179 paid members for 2013, 53 for 2014.
- E. Correspondence (no report)
- IX. Announcements:
- Next CCDC Executive Board Meeting will be held on Saturday, December 21 at 9 a.m. at Ronnie & Tom Camarella’s home.
- Next CCDC General Meeting January 2014 at the Rotunda Room, Vet’s Memorial Bldg., Culver City.
- Karen Bass is having an End of Year report, Sunday, Dec. 15 at Doubletree by Hilton in Culver City. 323-965-1422. Dinner is free. You need to RSVP. 3:00-5:00 pm.
- Plastic bag ban is going into effect on December 28, 2013 in Culver City, as announced by Meghan Sahli-Wells.
Motion to adjourn made by Pat, seconded by Bill. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Pat Levinson, Recording Secretary