Culver City Democratic Club – 62 Years
General Membership Meeting – Veterans Auditorium Rotunda
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
- Call to Order at 7: 27 p.m. by Sylvia Moore, acting President.
- Pledge of Allegiance – led by Isabell Cherness.
- Approval of November 12, 2014 Minutes. Moved to approve by Margaret Lindgren, seconded by Neil Rubenstein. Approved.
- Officer Reports
- Treasurer’s Report (Eric Fine) Total funds as of November 12, 2014 were: $2,945.72. Projected Budget for 2015 is $18,375.47.
- Membership (Diane Rosenberg) (absent) No report. www.CulverCityDemocraticClub.com/RENEW.
- Fundraising (Amy Cherness) – Amy described the raffle items. Fundraising theatre party at the Kentwood Playhouse, “Into the Woods.” Tickets are $30. Sunday, December 14 at 2:00 p.m. 16 tickets have been sold.
- Outreach (Sylvia Moore) – Sylvia has a list of all the registered Democrats in CC from the MOE (Mobilize, Organize, Elect) document we received from LACDP HQ.
- Correspondence & Legislation: (Stephen Murray) – No report. Delegates for 54th AD closes tomorrow, 12-11-14. Delegates are required to attend two conventions and more. Tom Camarella was putting together a slate to run: Jackie Hawthorne, Debbie Weinrauch, Suzanne DeBenedittis, Claudia Vizcarra, Jefferia Grayson, Michelle Weiner, Sydney Kamlager, Jim Clarke, David Mielke, Max Kanin, Nyabingi Kuti, Stephen Murray and Tom Camarella.
- Special Report about the City Council Agenda Item from Michelle Woolner and Carlene Brown regarding rental housing shortage and rental rates. Council voted in favor of affordable housing only.
Apparently, notices went out to apartment building owners who showed up en masse to refute any discussion of rental rates. Mayor Sahli-Wells attempted to frame a discussion of how to discuss both rental housing shortage and rental rates. She was unsuccessful.
- Program: The Honorable Judge Harold Cherness (ret.) will present the History of the Culver City Democratic Club. He began with a brief bio of his life up to the beginning of the Democratic Club, becoming the 3rd President of the CCDC. Issues of the day included street lighting, sewers and paying for fire and police persons. There were about 250 dues paying members in the early years. He spoke of the formation of the CDC in 1952 and how CCDC joined immediately. 1954 was the first convention of the CDC. He spoke how conservative Culver City was and how returning WWII vets made a difference in the attitudes and population. Jerry Brown appointed Judge Cherness to the bench in 1977. He retired from the bench in 2012. He felt that the Club Newsletter was a valuable tool. He invited other past presidents who were present to say a few words: Jerry Sallus, Howard Welinsky, Lee Welinsky, Bill Wynn, and Darryl Cherness. He received a standing applause from the members.
- Executive Board Meeting will be held on Sunday, December 21, 2014 at Pat Levinson’s home at 9:30 a.m.
- Bill moved to honor Ahmad Luqman, who passed away last week. He was a civil rights supporter, by adjourning in his honor.
Motion to adjourn this meeting in honor of Ahmad Luqman by Eric Fine. Seconded by Neil Rubenstein. .. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 8:47 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Pat Levinson, Recording Secretary