Culver City Democratic Club – 62 Years
General Membership Meeting – Veterans Auditorium Rotunda
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
- Call to Order at 7:07 p.m. by Sylvia Moore, acting President.
- Pledge of Allegiance – led by Isabell Cherness.
- Approval of October 8, 2014 Minutes. Moved to approve by Disa Lindgren, seconded by Margaret Lindgren. Approved.
- Officer Reports
- Treasurer’s Report (Eric Fine) Total funds as of October 31, 2014 were: $2 700.68.
- Membership (Diane Rosenberg) – 170 members paid for 2014. 34 paid for 2015. Anita Parnell is a new member. www.CulverCityDemocraticClub.com/RENEW.
- Fundraising (Amy Cherness) – Raffle items were described. Fundraising theatre party at the Kentwood Playhouse, “Into the Woods.” Tickets are $30. Sunday, December 14 at 2:00 p.m.
- Outreach (Sylvia Moore) – Sylvia has a list of all the registered Democrats in CC and the Club may have a “postcard party” to invite new members.
- Correspondence & Legislation: (Stephen Murray) – No report.
- Announcement of CCDC Executive Board Nominating Committee
- Sylvia is nominating Darryl Cherness and Bill Wynn
- 3 members “from the floor” are: Karlo Silbiger, Margaret Lindgren and Khin Khin Gyi.
- Scott Houston, winner of the West Basin Water Board, spoke a few words including his thanks for
help from members and citizens of Culver City. (The CCDC did not endorse a candidate.). Sylvia thanked Stephen Murray for his efforts as a candidate.
- Gurneet Pannu of Common Cause to present Government By the People Act
HR candidates for this November election raised over $957 million. Gurneet spoke about from where monies for elections come: finance, insurance, corporate donors. HR 20 is a resolution to encourage small contributions to candidates. Dollars would be matched. Congressional co-sponsors are 158 Democrats and 1 Republican. Endorsements by Jim Clarke, NAACP, Sierra Club, and others. Sylvia will disseminate the proposed law and any other information about this to the membership.
- Program: 2014 Midterm Election Review and Panel Discussion
Panel Members included Karlo Silbiger, Mona Field and Sydney Kamlager, who is district director for Sen. Holly Mitchell (and a candidate for Community College Trustee). Thoughts and data were shared. Campaign financing totaled $3.5 billion for all campaigns. Questions followed.
- Executive Board Meeting will be held on Saturday, November 22, 2014 at the Jayne/Camarella home at 9:30 a.m.
- CCDC December Holiday featuring Special Guest, former CCDC President Judge Harold Cherness (ret.) – Wednesday, December 10, 2014 in the Vet’s Rotunda Room.
- Sydney circulated her petition to get her as a candidate on Seat 3 for the Community College District.
Motion to adjourn this meeting in honor of veterans and Veterans Day by Eric. Seconded by Darryl Cherness.. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:19 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Pat Levinson, Recording Secretary