Culver City Democratic Club – 61 Years
General Membership Meeting – Veterans Auditorium Rotunda
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
- Call to Order at 7:03 pm by President Bill Wynn.
- Pledge of Allegiance – led by Diane and Herb Rosenberg
- Approval of August 14, 2013 Minutes: moved to approve by Greg Valtierra, Darryl Cherness seconded; motion passed.
- Announcements: This meeting is dedicated to the 12th anniversary of the killing deaths of those who perished in New York, Pennsylvania and the Pentagon in 2001. Also in honor of Thomas Person, Navy veteran. And Diane’s cousin , Peter Burns, who passed. Congratulations to those enjoying September birthdays, including, but not limited to, Darryl Cherness, Jim Clarke and Lee Sanders.
- Guests and New Members: Welcome guests – so many due to the occasion so we won’t ask your names, but welcome you!
- Program: Panel discussion and CCDC endorsements of CC School Board candidates with Democratic affiliation: Steve Levin, Kathy Paspalis, Karlo Silbiger, Vernon Taylor, Claudia Vizcarra, and Robert Zirgulis. Bill Wynn read the rules of endorsement for the Club. There will be a Question and Answer period following the panel. Panel facilitator is Gary Walker of the Culver City News. Each candidate was given 3 minutes to introduce themselves, their platform. Mr. Walker then asked the candidates questions. Some questions were fielded from the audience. The candidates closed with two-minute final statements. Once the candidates were exited from the room, members were able to state their opinions on candidates. Ninety-one (91) ballots were distributed to CCDC members who were current in their dues. Ballots were counted. First ballot results: 0 invalid ballots. 60% of 91 votes is an endorsement (55). Karlo Silbiger received 68, Steve Levin – 28, Kathy Paspalis – 3, Vernon Taylor -25, Claudia Vizcarra -53, and Robert Zirgulis -17. Endorsement on the first ballot went to Karlo Silbiger. A second ballot was offered with the agreement that Karlo’s name would not need to be counted (even if voted on the second ballot) and two votes were allowed for the other five candidates. Total ballots submitted: 81; 2 invalid ballots, making the total 79 valid ballots. 60% of 79 is 48 votes needed to endorse. Steve Levin received 25, Kathy Paspalis received 25, Vernon Taylor received 24, Claudia Vizcarra received 50, and Robert Zirgulis received 12. Therefore the CCDC endorsed Claudia Vizcarra on the second ballot. Therefore, only two candidates were endorsed: Karlo Silbiger and Claudia Vizcarra.
- Officer Reports
- Fundraising (Sylvia): Buttons for sale, Silent auction coming up in December, so bring items to auction. Oct. 20 is the Franklin and Eleanor Awards and Sylvia Moore will be honored from the 54th. Raffle with art from Dave Bregman and 1 copy of the DVD, “War on Whistleblowers” were available.
- Treasurer’s Report (Eric) Total funds as of August 31, 2013 is: $5,370.84.
- Membership [Diane]: 169 paid members.
A. CCDC booth at the Fiesta La Ballona, Aug. 24 and 25 was fun and successful.
- State Senate Special Elections have been designated for September 17, 2013.
- Next CCDC Executive Board Meeting will be held on Saturday, September 15, 9 am at the Rosenberg home.
- October 20 is the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Award Dinner. We will be honoring the Democrat from the 54th: Sylvia Moore. Event will be held at the Gateway Hotel near LAX.
E. Next CCDC General Meeting will be held Oct. 9, 2013 at the Rotunda Room, Vet’s Memorial Bldg., CC.
Respectfully submitted, Pat Levinson, Recording Secretary