Culver City Democratic Club – 62 Years
General Membership Meeting – Veterans Auditorium Rotunda
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
- Call to Order at 7: 02 pm by 1st Vice President Sylvia Moore.
- Pledge of Allegiance – led by Isabell Cherness, daughter of Darryl Cherness.
- Approval of June 11, 2014 Minutes – Moved by Loren Scott, seconded by Darryl Cherness. Approved.
- Officer Reports
- Treasurer’s Report (Eric Fine) Total funds as of June 30, 2014 are: $148.18. We owe rent. Bill Wynn paid for July’s rent. We owe for the $300 security deposit. We still need rent for August – December. Possible mix up on whether it was sent back in December. Ronnie Jayne will follow-up with the City of Culver City.
- Membership (Diane Rosenberg) – 138 members paid for 2014. Online: ActBlue.org/CCDCmembership. Guests include: Laurie Jones from Brave New Films, R. Scott Hill, Mark Didak, Charles Zacharie, John Hasegawa and Irene Ujda.
- Fundraising (David Bromberg) – We may have a screening of “Inequality for All” at a theatre, $15.00/ticket, pending a location. A bingo event has been scheduled at Hamburger Mary’s – drag queen bingo, Wednesday, August 27, 2014. 7 p.m. David offered 4 exciting prizes for a raffle!
- Outreach (Sylvia Moore) – no report
- Correspondence (Stephen Murray) – no report from Stephen. Lee reported that John Perez would pay for a recount as he came in 3rd behind Betty Yee for Secretary of State. Lee reported that State Senator Holly Mitchell had authored an anti-fracking bill, which lost by only 3 votes.
- Program: Dr. Tom Williams – Global Warming
Tom’s background included working in many continents and the Arctic Ocean. Tom had a visual presentation, which included what greenhouse gases are. Global warming is human-caused climate change/warming of the earth. Tom described the impact of global warming. He described how California is in a “snow-drought.” Not enough snow to melt for us to get water. Warming in the poles means less snow in the Sierras. Snow pack in the Sierras is the key for water for California. We have a lot of CO2 emissions. Require greater efforts to curb CO2 emissions. To do something is better than to do nothing – awareness, education, information, outreach, and participation. Tom urged us to paint our roofs white! Cap and trade on gasoline v. carbon tax! Presentation followed by Q & A. Read more about it from Michael Wehner at Lawrence Livermore Laboratories.
- Other Reports
A. Laurie Jones spoke about future film screenings from Brave New Films, including “Unmanned (America’s Drone Wars),” Koch Brothers, War on Whistleblowers, and Wal-Mart (The High Cost of Low Price). She distributed free information for educators [Brave New Educators program].
- Executive Board Meeting will be held on Saturday, July 19, 2014 at the Camarella-Jayne home at 9 a.m.
- Fiesta La Ballona – Please sign up for either Saturday or Sunday (or both) to “work” at the CCDC booth, Saturday, Aug. 23 and Sunday, Aug. 24. Happy Hour on Friday, Aug. 22. Come take a photo with the first couple, the Obamas! Button sales, voter registration.
Motion to adjourn moved by Pat, seconded by Darryl. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Pat Levinson, Recording Secretary